What does Daniel use to make music?
Well, this is one of the most popular questions being asked to pretty much any creative except people who write books for some reason.
Short answer: It doesn’t matter
Long answer, well, let me write down what software and hardware I have…
So I used to work on desktop Windows PC’s for pretty much most of my life. When I started travelling though, I needed to have a more portable system. So I’ve got meself a Macbook and learned how to compose on the move. So, I have the following devices
My PC… well, to be honest I don’t remember the specs right now because I’m kind of in Toronto and that PC is in Berlin, so I’m kinda guessing that it’s a Windows PC with
- Intel Core i7, whatever the one on the 5th generation was, like the good one
- 32 gigs of RAM
- GTX 980
- 1TB SSD
- 5TB HDD
But yeah, as I said, I work on my laptop way more than I used to do on this PC. So My laptop specs….
- Macbook Pro 15″ Mid-2014
- 1TB SSD plus 2TB external SSD
- 2,8Ghz i7
- 16GB RAM
I wish Apple would make a 32 gig ram laptop, but alas. I’ve been told with Kaby Lake that’s maybe possible.
My Hardware and synths
Again, a lot of this is stuff that is very hard to move, so for the time being as I reside in Toronto a lot, I have a hard time using this stuff. I cherish all of these devices a lot though.
My sound card is
- RME Fireface UCX
My Headphones are
- AKG K271
- Bose QC25 and 35. I’m not kidding, they’re perfectly fine honestly
- Moog Voyager, Rack version
- Access Virus TI, Rack version
- Dave Smith Prophet-08, Rack Version
- Teenage Engineering OP-1
I currently have a severe lack of midi controllers, so I’m on the lookout for something portable, yet high quality. Which is hard. Stuff is either high quality or portable and garbage.
OOOOK now here’s where the list goes crazy. I own a bunch of things, but I tell ye, fabfilter is the bomb and get all of their stuff ok?
My DAW of choice is
- Ableton Live
- ALL of Fabfilters things
- Audioease Altiverb and Speakerphone
- ALL of D16’s things
- Native Instrument’s Komplete, but not Komplete Ultimate. I’m not a sucker, NI. Get your sh*t together
- ALL of Plogue’s stuff
- ALL of Sonic Charge’s stuff
- u-he Diva and Repro-1
- Omnisphere 2
- East West Hollywood Orchestra
- ALL of Soniccouture’s stuff
- Spitfire’s Albion and Evo
- 8DIO’s Upright, Blendstrument, Studio Percussion Exotic
- Imperfect Sample’s Steinway
- Embertone’s Solo Strings
- Output’s stuff, although I’m not sure if I like their stuff yet…
Again, it doesn't matter
Here’s my personal opinion on how to make music.
Get all the free things you can find, just smash them into each other and have fun!
All this stuff that costs money ultimately really doesn’t matter if you’re still learning the ropes of making music. It’s WAY MORE IMPORTANT that you know your stuff rather than how big your library is. There is NO point collecting a big database of stuff. Rather, learn with what you have already.
And again, don’t force yourself. Have fun making music! Ignore what everyone says!